I wish I’d known about the benefits of essential oils many years ago when I was struggling, and how they could help support my thyroid.
Therapeutic-grade oils are specially distilled from plants cultivated organically or grown wild in a clean environment. Pharmaceuticals have their place, and many who need thyroid support need to be on medications, but there are also natural options to consider.
Essential oils help keep the body in homeostasis and work towards restoring and maintaining balance. I think we can agree that all of us who need thyroid support could use a bit more balance in our lives!
Here are some essential oils for thyroid support:
- Clove Oil – this oil has an antioxidant (ORAC) score of over 1,000,000! So, this is definitely an oil you’ll want to consider for supporting your entire body. Clove is also high in phenols (about 80%). “Phenols clean the receptor sites of the cells. Without clean receptor sites, cells cannot communicate and the body malfunctions, resulting in sickness.” – Dr. David Stewart
- Frankincense Oil – frankincense is the mother of all oils and it’s fantastic for healthy cell support. Frankincense is high in Monoterpenes which help reprogram miswritten information in cellular memory.
- Myrrh Oil – this oil has been used for thousands of years and can help reduce stress and support the thyroid. Myrrh is rich in Sesquiterpenes (around 60%) which can help “erase or deprogram miswritten codes in cellular memory”.
- Lemongrass Oil – this is a great oil to use to support the thyroid – again, helping the body achieve balance.
- Basil – basil helps support the adrenal glands. When the body needs thyroid support, it usually also needs adrenal support, so it’s a good idea to use this oil on a regular basis to support the adrenal glands.
- Peppermint – peppermint can help you feel more alert, and support the body when it feels fatigued. It also helps support the thyroid.
- Marjoram – marjoram supports the spleen. The spleen is an important organ in the immune system producing the white blood cells that fight synthesized antibodies. This oil can be a good oil to help support healthy antibody levels.
Here are some of my favorite ways to use these oils for thyroid support:
1. I rub a drop of myrrh oil over my thyroid area each day. The smell is a bit strong, but it wears off quickly.
2. A drop or two basil oil rubbed on the adrenals each morning is a great way to support the system! The adrenal glands are located on either side of your back, just below each rib cage.
3. A drop or two of marjoram can be rubbed over the spleen for antibody support.
Here’s the Thyroid Blend Recipe that I use 2x daily on my feet:
10 drops frankincense
10 drops clove
10 drops myrrh
10 drops lemongrass
10 drops basil
10 drops marjoram
I put all of these oils in a 10ml glass roller ball and top it off with fractionated coconut oil (this kind of coconut oil soaks into the skin quickly and stays liquid at colder temperatures). I personally use doTERRA essential oils for my thyroid blend.
If you’d like to learn more about how to use essential oils to support the thyroid, I invite you to attend a free online class that Season Johnson NTP and I host together entitled Essential Oils for Thyroid Support.
We’ll also teach you how to use essential oils to support the immune system, liver, adrenals, digestive system, spleen, to support digestion, to reduce anxious feelings, to get a better night’s sleep, to curb sugar cravings and much, much more!
Click here to register for our free online class!