Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Port Reduction
For the Brussels sprouts:
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon ghee or palm shortening
- 6 pieces pastured, thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
For the reduction:
- 1/2 cup port
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (omit for dairy free)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and adjust the rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the Brussels sprouts, ghee, bacon and sea salt together and then spread out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, stir and then for another 15 minutes. Roast until the Brussels sprouts are a golden to dark brown and the bacon is crispy.
- While the Brussels sprouts are roasting, place the port and the balsamic vinegar in a medium sauce pan over low heat. Bring the mixture to a low simmer and continue to cook until reduced down to 1/2 cup, about 20-30 minutes.
- To serve, drizzle the reduction over the roasted Brussels sprouts and bacon and top with parmesan cheese.