Orange Chicken (Paleo, Grain-Free)
- Author: Carrie Vitt
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the Marinade:
For the Sauce:
For the Vegetables:
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil or pastured tallow
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, optional
- Whisk egg, arrowroot, tamari and sherry in a medium bowl. Add chicken and stir until the chicken is coated in the marinade. Set the mixture aside for 30 minutes at room temperature to marinate.
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a measuring cup. Set aside.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Melt 2 tablespoons oil or tallow in the hot skillet and swirl the pan to coat. Add half of the chicken and fry, without stirring until bottom of chicken turns golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, turn chicken and fry until second side is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil or tallow to pan and swirl to coat. Place the broccoli in the pan and cook, stirring frequently until hot, about 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons water to the pan and quickly cover the pan with a lid. Let the broccoli simmer in the water for 2 minutes, then remove the lid and let the remaining water evaporate, about 1 minute. Make a well in the center of the pan and add the garlic and ginger. Let the mixture cook in the center of the pan until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken and sauce to the pan and stir frequently, making sure all of the chicken and broccoli is coated with the sauce. As the sauce heats it will thicken, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using. Serve immediately.