Chronic disease and health issues can leave you feeling helpless. With all of the conflicting advice about food and health, you need solid advice. You need someone who understands. My goal here at Deliciously Organic is to give you sound advice, vibrant recipes that your whole family will love and help you walk down the path towards better health.
Through good, natural, real food my family has overcome Hashimoto’s Disease, chronic migraines, IBS, severe asthma and eczema. I’m a Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner at Our Well House, with over 20 years of real-life experience and want to pass on all of the knowledge I’ve learned to help you also find better health.
My Battle with Migraines and IBS
Back in 2003, after the birth of my second daughter, I began having daily migraines. I was 25. As migraines often are, they were both baffling and debilitating. The migraines I’d experienced after the birth of my first daughter had been infrequent and not as severe. But this time it was different. I often had to lie down in a dark quiet room, which was almost impossible with a toddler and an infant.
I was taking several medications to manage the pain just to get through the day. The migraines continued, though, settling into a routine of four or more a week. After two years of struggle my neurologist suggested adding yet another daily medication to my prescription regimen—a treatment plan that wasn’t working anyway. I kindly rejected her suggestion and drove home thinking, “There must be another way.”
The same day I saw my neurologist, a tiny newsletter article caught my eye as I went through the mail. It was about the benefits of organic foods. I knew migraines could be related to diet, so I wondered if changing to organic foods might help. I was at the end of my rope and willing to try something different.
At the time I was eating lots of vegetables to lose the last 10 pounds of baby weight. I replaced my lettuce with organic lettuce. That was my first step. I picked lettuce because it was the food I ate the most. Within a week I noticed a significant difference. I then switched over more and more of our food to organic and surprisingly, the frequency of my migraines decreased, my IBS cleared (never to return!), I got off all of my medications, and it became easier to care for my kids. I didn’t need any more encouragement.
As I dug deeper and learned more, I continued making changes to my pantry and refrigerator. Over the next year and a half, I completely converted my family’s diet to whole, unprocessed, organic ingredients.
Another Hurdle – Hashimoto’s Disease
In 2008 had an amalgam filling removed and unfortunately the doctor didn’t take the proper precautions during the extraction. As a result, my thyroid absorbed many of the heavy metals and over a year later I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease.
The disease ravaged my body with hives, I had little energy and was quickly slipping into a depression. Once again the doctors didn’t have any answers and said there wasn’t anything they could do. I once again turned to nutrition and began a grain-free diet rich in healthy fats, meats, vegetables and fermented foods to begin the healing process. After several years of hard work, discipline, and the amazing guidance of my nutritionist, I’m happy to say the disease is now in remission!
In my cookbook, The Grain-Free Family Table, I share what I learned about battling inflammation, how I reversed Hashimoto’s disease, over 125 grain-free recipes and all of my best health and cooking tips.
I now live in “maintenance mode”, stick with a nutrient-dense diet, and keep a close eye on how I’m feeling. If I see anything going awry, I immediately take steps to change things so I don’t go back to the horrible symptoms of Hashimoto’s I once experienced.
Helpful Resources for You:
- I highly recommend you download my “50 Tips and Resources to Reverse Thyroid Disease“. I’ll also send you a few very educational emails about thyroid health.
- If you have any kind of thyroid issue (Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Hashimoto’s, Graves’, Cysts, Nodules, Goiter, etc.) and you are looking for a step-by-step plan, check out my Thyroid Support and Health online course.
- If you have adrenal imbalance, or have been told that all of your labs look “fine”, but you don’t feel well, I recommend checking out my Adrenal Balance Course.
- My first cookbook, Deliciously Organic, is a fabulous fit for anyone who’s just diving into cooking with unprocessed, organic ingredients. This book does contain gluten and grains, but you can always download my grain-free adaptations for this book here.
- My second cookbook, The Grain-Free Family Table, contains 125 grain-free and dairy-free recipes and is a fabulous resource if you’re looking to take more serious steps to clean up your diet.
- Come find me over on Facebook (I recently changed my name on Facebook to Deliciously Organic, Carrie Vitt FNTP so you can more easily find me).
- And over on Instagram, I provide daily health, detox, thyroid and healthy recipe tips. I hope you’ll come connect with me!
- If you have thyroid disease, make sure to check out all of my articles on the topic. I cover Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Hashimoto’s, Graves’ and all that goes along with those shades of thyroid disease.