I love a good chicken recipe, especially one that’s easy to put together and packs in the flavor. Lemon Chicken with Spinach and Artichokes combines two of my favorites – spinach and artichoke dip and lemon chicken.
I recommend using fresh spinach, but if you’re in a pinch, you could use 16 ounces of frozen spinach and thaw it before cooking. I do recommend using frozen artichoke hearts instead of canned. The canned artichokes always have a tinny flavor and you really want the fresh artichoke flavor to shine through.
Here are some additional grain-free chicken main dish recipes you might enjoy!Print
Creamy Lemon Chicken with Spinach and Artichokes (Grain-Free, Gluten-Free)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 4 ounces organic cream cheese (or a dairy-free cream cheese for a dairy-free option)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons butter (or palm shortening for a dairy-free option)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 8 cups baby spinach (about 12 ounces)
- 1 package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup Parmiagiano-Reggiano cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- Place the stock, cream cheese, arrowroot and salt in a blender and blend until combined. Set aside.
- Season the chicken with sea salt and pepper and dredge in almond flour, shaking off any excess. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil and swirl the pan to coat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil, garlic and thyme to the now empty skillet. Cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the artichokes. Pour in the chicken stock mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce just begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Return the chicken and accumulated juices to the pan. Remove from the heat. Spritz the lemon juice over top and add the cheese. You can serve this with cauliflower rice or soaked brown rice (if you can tolerate rice). Serve immediately.
- Note: I only test the recipes on my site with the listed ingredients and measurements. If you would like to try a substitution, you are welcome to share what you used and how it turned out in the comments below. Thanks!
- Serving Size: Serves 4