Grain-Free Deep Dish Pizza. Do I really need to say more?
It’s very important to use a cast iron skillet or enameled cast iron skillet for this recipe – I tried to make it with a stainless steel skillet and the crust didn’t bake evenly.
You can pick whatever toppings you’d like – cheese, meats, onions, olives, bell peppers, etc. Enjoy!Print
Deep Dish Pizza (Grain-Free)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Blend
- 1 tablespoon of palm shortening, lard, or tallow
- Toppings of your choice: cheese, marinara, pepperoni, sausage, peppers, onions, olives, etc.
- Place a 12-inch cast iron or enameled cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 425ºF. Let the oven preheat and then keep the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes after the oven has reached 425ºF.
- Place the tapioca flour, coconut flour, eggs, sea salt, Italian seasoning, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor or blender (do not try this in a small food processor or mini blender – the mixture will be too thick). Pour in 1 cup of boiling water and immediately process until smooth. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes (if it sits for longer than 10 minutes, it will be totally fine).
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Add 1 tablespoon of palm shortening, lard or tallow and swirl to coat (I don’t use olive oil here, because the oil will burn and oxidize due to the high heat). Pour (or spoon) the dough into the hot skillet and spread evenly with a spatula. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and put your toppings on top. Place the pizza back in the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes until the toppings are hot and the cheese is bubbling and just turning golden brown. Let the pizza sit for 10 minutes before serving.
I only test the recipes on my site with the listed ingredients and measurements. If you would like to try a substitution, you are welcome to share what you used and how it turned out in the comments below. Thanks!
- Serving Size: Serves 6-8
Keywords: deep dish pizza