Homemade pizza pockets are a fun make-ahead meal that the kids and adults alike will love!
These grain-free pizza pockets are layered with mozzarella, pepperoni, marinara sauce and baked until golden. The dough is very easy to work with, and you can add in any kind of fillings that you like.
This is a fun recipe to get the kids involved with. They can help cut, shape and fill the dough. Serve the pockets with a side of marinara and dip away!Print
Grain-Free Pizza Pockets
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Makes about eight 5-inch round pizza pockets
For the dough:
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or another hard cheese of your choice)
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 large egg (or 1 gelatin egg for egg-free option)
- 6 tablespoons water
- For the filling:
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or another cheese of your choice)
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and adjust the rack to the middle position. Place the cheese, arrowroot, coconut flour and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until combined. Add the egg and water and process until the dough comes together.
- In a small bowl, combine the pepperoni, mozzarella, tomatoes and Italian seasoning.
- Dust a clean space on the counter with arrowroot flour. Place the dough on top and using a rolling pin, roll the dough until it’s 1/4” thick. Using a round cookie cutter (I used the top of a large, 3-cup mason jar lid), cut circles out of the dough and place half of them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the pepperoni mixture into the center of each dough round. Fill a small bowl with water, dip your fingers in the water and then gently rub the water around the edges of the dough. Then, place a second dough round on top and gently press down on the sides to seal the edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling ingredients.
- Using a fork, poke the top of the pizza pocket 3 times. Bake the pockets for 18-20 minutes until golden brown on the edges. Cool for 15 minutes. Serve alone or with marinara sauce.
I only test the recipes on my site with the listed ingredients and measurements. If you would like to try a substitution, you are welcome to share what you used and how it turned out in the comments below. Thanks!
- Serving Size: 1
Photos by Becky Winkler