This grain-free strawberry tart recipe is adapted from Deliciously Organic, my first cookbook.
I’m happy to announce a new grain-free cookbook is in the works (update: The book, The Grain-Free Family Table was released on November 14th, 2014)! Thanks to my amazing agent, Meg Thompson, I’m signing with William Morrow and looking forward to working with Cassie Jones, the very talented editor. I’m thrilled and so thankful for this opportunity!
For the next several months I’ll be creating, testing and writing recipes for the new book. I’d love to know what you want to see in the book. Any specific recipes? Particular tips or topics? This book is for you, so I’m open to any ideas! Please let me know in the comments below.
The entire process has taught me to be truly thankful no matter the circumstances. More than three years ago, we moved to an Air Force base in the remote desert of Southern California. I had recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease after an amalgam filling removal gone bad. I was spiraling into depression and honestly didn’t know which way to turn. Through the help and support of my family, and my amazing nutritionist Kim Schuette, I was able to slowly reverse the disease and am now wanting to shout from the rooftops that a disease doesn’t have to define your life. You can overcome, and food can play an incredible role in your health.
The Air Force will send us back to northwest Florida next month. I’m going to leave California feeling like a new woman and so thankful for the opportunities ahead.
A few months ago, I released the grain-free substitutions for Deliciously Organic, providing more ways to cook unprocessed, delicious recipes like this tart, even for those avoiding grains. The shortbread crust is layered with bittersweet chocolate, a layer of pastry cream and then sweet, ripe strawberries. A fitting dessert for a celebration like this!Print
Strawberry Tart (Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo)
As with all desserts, it’s best to consume in moderation.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the crust:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, maple sugar or sucanat
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 3/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into tablespoons (or 6 tablespoons cold coconut oil)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I prefer Trader Joe’s or Equal Exchange because they don’t contain soy)
For the pastry cream:
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (not to be confused with “coconut beverage”), I prefer Native Forest or Natural Value
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or maple sugar
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 24 large strawberries, tops cut off and hulled 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust rack to middle position. Butter a 9-inch tart pan. Place almond flour, coconut flour, sugar, gelatin, arrowroot and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 2-3 times to combine. Add butter and pulse 10 times to combine and then process until mixture forms a dough. Press dough on bottom and up sides of tart pan. Place tart pan on top of a baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, or until just turning golden brown. As soon as the crust comes out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate over top. Let the chocolate sit for 3 minutes and then using an offset spatula, spread melted chocolate evenly over crust. Cool for 15 minutes, then place tart in the refrigerator.
- Pour the coconut milk into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, place the yolks and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixture. Using a whisk attachment, whisk mixture on medium-high for 3 minutes until very thick. Reduce speed to low and add arrowroot. Whisk until incorporated. With mixer on low, slowly (very slowly) add the hot coconut milk to the egg mixture. When all of the coconut milk has been added, pour the coconut milk/egg mixture into the saucepan and heat over low heat. Whisk constantly until mixture forms a thick pudding. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, butter, and almond extract. Pour pastry cream into a large bowl. Place a piece of parchment paper directly on the pastry cream (this will prevent it from forming a skin). Chill for about 45 minutes.
- Pour cooled pastry cream over the chocolate in the tart pan and spread evenly. Chill for about 3 hours. Place strawberries cut-side down on top of pastry cream, drizzle with melted chocolate. Serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
Keywords: strawberry tart
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Deliciously Organic will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!