When it was time to replace our mattress last year I really wanted to get an organic non-toxic mattress that would offer great back support, but as I was began reading and talking to my friends about organic mattresses, I realized that maybe it wasn’t the best option.
I learned that organic mattresses break down pretty quickly. If I was going to pay a premium, I wanted something that would last and was free of synthetic fire retardants, such as formaldehyde, which can cause thyroid problems. I tried different foam mattresses in the past and really didn’t sleep well on them, so I knew a foam mattress wasn’t an option.
While shopping around, I happened to be chatting with Sara Pope and she recommended I try the OrganixBed (formerly known as Intellibed). Sara really does her homework, and I turn to her website often to get the real story on health-related issues, so I gave OrganixBed a call.
Before I purchase a product, I’m that annoying person who calls the company and asks all sorts of questions like: Does it off-gas? For how long? What materials is it made of? Why did you choose ______ material? Can you send me a sample so I can see if it smells or I have a reaction?
Here’s what I learned:
- OrganixBed mattress isn’t sprayed with any synthetic chemicals. Most mattresses are sprayed with chemicals such as formaldehyde and fire-retardants which are damaging to the endocrine system and are carcinogenic. Instead of synthetic chemicals, OrganixBed uses nontoxic silica thread, which is actually the ingredient in those little white packet inserts in supplement bottles.
- The foam layer of the mattress is 100% CertiPUR-US which means they are analyzed by an independent and accredited testing laboratory to be free of ozone depletes, PBDEs, TDCCP or TCEP flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates and are low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound). The gel matrix (the blue layer) is 100% non-toxic and the cotton cover is organic.
- The off-gassing from an OrganixBed mattress is very, very minimal! Their foams are low VOC and their patented Gel Matrix is an inert, non off-gassing material. This medical-grade gel is also used in hospitals for bedridden patients and burn victims to reduce pressure and promote healing.
- The OrganixBed mattress supports the body in a way other mattresses cannot. Foam mattresses, such as Tempur-Pedic®, are made of layered foam. A supportive mattress needs to support your back and push on your hips to keep the body in alignment. A foam core mattress softens over time and loses its resiliency which reduces the ability for the foam to push on the hips. The Gel Matrix behaves differently than foam. The gel collapses under the heaviest parts to the body which relieves pressure on the body. And, if you can relieve pressure points, your body won’t need to move as much during the night to relieve that pressure.
- Given that a nontoxic mattress is quite an investment, I was happy to learn that Intellibed offers a 20-year warranty and they also have a 60-day guarantee. If you don’t like the mattress, you can return it and they will pay for the shipping.
Because there wasn’t an OrganixBed store nearby, I first asked if they would send me a piece of the Gel Matrix so I could make sure it didn’t smell and that I wouldn’t have any type of reaction to it. A few days later an Intelli-Gel sample arrived on my doorstep, free of charge! I actually sat on the Intelli-Gel while working at my desk for a few days to make sure I didn’t have any negative reactions to the material. I’m very sensitive to toxic materials so, for me, this test was enough to show me that I wouldn’t have any kind of skin reactions, migraines, etc. from sleeping on one of their mattresses.
While the bed isn’t 100% organic, it’s a choice that I felt comfortable with because it fit my criteria for a nontoxic mattress that is supportive for the body and with almost zero off-gassing.
Before the mattress arrived, I was still skeptical as to whether it would be comfortable. I was thinking we’d send it back after a week work two. To my surprise, the mattress is supportive yet soft, and truly the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on.
I like the OrganixBed so much that I just purchased an additional mattress for my daughter’s room. I now own both the Tranquiliti and Aria mattresses and find them both incredibly comfortable.
If you’ve been looking for a non-toxic mattress, I highly recommend giving OrganixBed a try. You can use the code ORGANIC to save 10%.