Chocolate cupcakes with strawberry frosting provide a wonderfully fun indulgence during strawberry season.
Many of you have requested a nut-free version of my reader-favorite Grain-Free Chocolate Cake, so I’m excited to give you a new nut-free and grain-free chocolate cake recipe you can use for cupcakes or as a layer cake!
Today I’m joining with friends across the blogosphere to honor my friend Catherine from Weelicious and celebrate her new bundle of joy. Catherine creates some of the cutest colorful meals for her kids, so we put together a colorful celebration for her. I think you’re going to love all the fantastic recipes we’ve lined up!
Pink Lemonade Thumbprint Cookies from Fifteen Spatulas
Roasted Blueberry and Lemony Yogurt Popsicles from Tasty Yummies
Frozen Lemonade with Rose Water from The Lemon Bowl
Grilled Carrots with Mint Almond Pesto from Heather Christo
Persian Saffron Pudding from Tori Avey
S’more Brownies from What’s Gaby Cooking
Jicama Pops from ¡Hola! Jalapeño
Farmer’s Market Vietnamese Steak Salad from Alex T Cooks
Peachy Pineapple Green Smoothie from 100 Days of Real Food
Rainbow Smoothie from Sweet + Savory
Chocolate Beet Cake from I Am Baker
Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting (Grain-Free, Nut-Free)
You can double this recipe to make a 2-layer chocolate cake. I made this for my daughter’s 13th birthday party and the kids loved it (and they had no idea it was grain-free)!
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 12-14 cupcakes
- Category: Dessert
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life), melted
- 6 tablespoons butter (or 5 tablespoons coconut oil for dairy-free), melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain whole yogurt (use coconut milk yogurt for dairy-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and adjust the rack to the middle position. Place muffin liners in a muffin pan. Place the coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl and whisk until incorporated. In another large mixing bowl, whisk the melted chocolate, butter, maple syrup, eggs, yogurt and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes. Divide the batter evenly amount the muffin tin and fill each muffin cup 3/4 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cake tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Whisk together all of the frosting ingredients for about 2 minutes with a mixer until soft peaks form. Place the frosting in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (this helps the gelatin set a bit more and give the frosting more structure).
- To frost: Spoon a few tablespoons of frosting on a cupcake (I like to use a cookie scoop so that I have an even amount of frosting on each cupcake) and then even out with an off-set spatula. Top with a whole strawberry. If you need to make these ahead of time, it’s best if they are stored in the fridge and then set out for 20 minutes before serving.
- Note: I only test the recipes on my site with the listed ingredients and measurements. If you would like to try a substitution, you are welcome to share what you used and how it turned out in the comments below. Thanks!
Keywords: chocolate cupcakes with strawberry frosting