Our family loves this recipe for Sesame Chicken with Plum Sauce! The chicken is marinated in buttermilk which makes it nicely tender (this trick also works for fried chicken).
The original family recipe calls for packaged herb stuffing, so I replaced that with plantain chips and spices.The chicken is baked until it’s golden brown and then served with a simple plum-horseradish sauce.
This recipe is a great one for parties because the chicken can be prepped ahead of time, frozen raw, and then baked straight from the freezer!
Sesame Chicken with Plum Sauce (Grain-Free)
If you’d like to prepare this dish ahead of time and freeze it, then add 5-10 additional minutes to the baking time.
For the Chicken:
- 2 pounds organic chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup buttermilk (you could also use 1 cup coconut milk plus 1 tablespoon vinegar for a dairy-free option)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 8 ounces Inka Plantain chips pulsed in a food processor until ground
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons palm shortening or duck fat, melted
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (or 3 tablespoons ghee), melted
For the Plum Sauce:
- 1 cup plum jam (I like to use St. Dalfour or Alce Nero)
- 1 tablespoon fresh horseradish
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Place the chicken and buttermilk in a shallow baking dish and stir around a bit to coat all of the chicken with the buttermilk. Cover and place in the fridge and let marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and adjust the rack to the middle position. Combine the arrowroot, ground plantain chips, onion powder, sea salt and sesame seeds in a pie plate. Place a piece of marinated chicken in the plantain mixture and press on both sides to coat the chicken. Place the chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining chicken. Combine the melted palm shortening and butter in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, carefully brush each piece of chicken with the butter mixture. Bake for 25 minutes, or until coating is turning golden brown.
- Stir the plum jam, horseradish and lemon juice until combined. Serve the plum sauce with the chicken.
- Note: I only test the recipes on my site with the listed ingredients and measurements. If you would like to try a substitution, you are welcome to share what you used and how it turned out in the comments below. Thanks!
- Serving Size: Serves 4-6
Photo Credit: Becky Winkler