This is a great recipe to have on hand during the holidays because it’s so easy to prepare.
Here’s all that’s required:
- Place the onions in the bottom of a slow cooker (this is my favorite one).
- Place the roast on top of the onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes on top and around the roast. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Quickly lift the lid, add the carrots, replace the lid and cook for an additional 2 hours.
The beauty of this recipe is the flexibility. You can use any cut of roast (as long as it’s not a lean cut) and you can vary the vegetables depending on what’s in season. I chose to use sea salt and pepper for seasoning, but you can use your favorite blend to change things up.Print
6 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pot Roast (Grain-Free, Paleo)
I chose sea salt and pepper for seasoning, but you can use your favorite blend to change things up.
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours
- Category: Main Dish
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 large red onions (you can use yellow if you prefer)
- 1 (3-4 pound) chuck roast or other roast with nice marbling (I do not recommend using a lean cut of meat as the roast may turn out dry)
- 2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground cracked pepper
- 4 large potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces (the modern Paleo diet allows for white potatoes on occasion, but if you prefer to avoid them, you can substitute with sweet potatoes or other root vegetable such as parsnip)
- 8 carrots, cut into 1/2” coins
- Place the red onions on the bottom of the crock pot and top with the roast. Season with sea salt and pepper. Place the potatoes around the meat. Cook the roast on low for 6 hours. Quickly, remove the lid, add the carrots, replace the lid and then cook for an additional 2 hours. (I do this because we don’t like soft/mushy carrots, but if you prefer carrots on the softer side, you can add them to the crock pot along with the potatoes). Serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
Keywords: 6 ingredient slow cooker pot roast
Photo Credit: Becky Winkler