Almond butter and chocolate sandwiches are fun flourless Christmas cookies you can make with kids that are great for a cookie exchange or party. The cookies also work great served alone as a fun treat.
We’ve started the Christmas season! For most of us, that means getting into the kitchen and baking cookies. While sugar should be enjoyed in strict moderation, I do like to offer healthier alternatives to traditional favorites. It’s also fun to show up at a party, serve grain-free cookies, let your friends rave and only then reveal they’re grain-free. I kinda get a kick out of this. 🙂
While you’re getting your supplies for holiday baking, make sure to check out Thrive Market. I get most of my baking essentials from Thrive Market including: honey, coconut flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot, coconut cream, coconut sugar, maple sugar, chocolate, etc. They’re the most economical way I’ve found to get the essentials – and they ship right to my door.
For a limited time, Thrive is offering Deliciously Organic readers a free jar of Really Raw honey! This honey is the real deal – unheated and full of honeycomb and pollen. It’s one of my most favorite honeys to use for baking because of its light flavor.Print
Flourless Almond Butter and Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: Makes about 20 cookie sandwiches
- Category: Dessert
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the Cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups almond butter, room temperature (you can use jarred or homemade)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Filling:
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used Equal Exchange bittersweet chocolate bars)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and adjust the rack to the middle position. Place the almond butter, coconut sugar and baking soda in the bowl of a standing mixer and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on medium-low until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Using a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop, spoon the dough into balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Arrange the balls about 1 1/2 inches apart. Using your fingers, gently press down on the dough balls to make them flat and about ¼-inch thick. Bake for 11 minutes and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- To make the filling: Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler. Remove from the heat and let cool until slightly thickened, about 1 hour.
- To assemble: Turn half of the cooled cookies upside-down and spoon about 2 teaspoons of chocolate filling into the center of each cookie. Top with the remaining cookies and press each cookie gently. Serve.
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: flourless almond butter and chocolate sandwich cookies