When you’ve got a craving for pizza, but want to keep things on the healthier side, pizza soup is the answer! I know it may sound a little odd, but when you put the vegetables, broth, tomatoes, pepperoni, ground beef and spices together, it really does have the same flavors as pizza!
You can serve the pizza soup alone, top with cheese, or serve with grain-free white dinner rolls if you’d like a bit of bread on the side. It’s a pretty simple recipe and I think it will become a new favorite addiction to your recipe collection.Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (red, yellow, orange or green will work)
- 8 ounces cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped (celery isn’t normal on a pizza, but it does add some nice flavor, you can leave it out if you prefer)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning blend
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 ounces uncured pepperoni or sausage, sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 32 ounces crushed tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, celery (if using), and garlic. Stir to combine, reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Let the mixture cook over low heat for 30 minutes. Stir in the salt and Italian seasoning blend. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the now empty pot. Add the ground beef and pepperoni. Cook until the ground beef is browned and break up the meat using the back of a spoon. Add the vegetable mixture, chicken stock and crushed tomatoes. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Serve with freshly ground black pepper.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
Photo Credit: Becky Winkler