Squash Fritters are an easy side dish that use an abundant summer vegetable in a fun way.
This recipe a combination of yellow squash, egg, grain-free flour, jalapeño and a bit of sea salt. These fritters take just minutes to prepare and provide a fantastic complement to a large salad or grilled meat.
If you want to try a wonderfully flavorful zucchini variation, check out my Zucchini Fritter recipe on page 124 of The Grain-Free Family Table.Print
Squash Fritters (Grain-Free, Paleo)
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the Fritters:
- 2 cups shredded yellow squash (about 2-3 large squash)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s grain-free! For my grain-free baking powder recipe, see page 272 of The Grain-Free Family Table)
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup sour cream (omit for Paleo/dairy free)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Place the squash, eggs, coconut flour, arrowroot flour, jalapeño, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Stir until combined. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the butter and olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Spoon 1/4 cup portions of the squash mixture into the sauté pan (I like to use a large ice cream scoop and press the fritters down so they are flat and about 3/4-inch thick. Fry the fritters until golden brown on the bottom, about 2-3 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the fritters and continue cooking until they’re golden brown on the second side. Serve with sour cream, green onion and lemon juice.
- Note: I only test the recipes on my site with the listed ingredients and measurements. If you would like to try a substitution, you are welcome to share what you used and how it turned out in the comments below. Thanks!
- Serving Size: Serves 4
Keywords: squash fritters
Kelly @ The Nourishing Home
Angela @ Food Angel
The Organic Diabetic
Deborah @ The Harvest Kitchen