A chocolate brownie is one of my kid’s favorite treats to take to school. Many of you have asked that I create more recipes without almond flour, so this recipe is for you!
They are fudgy and moist, but not too dense. Coconut flour, cocoa powder, butter or ghee, honey and bittersweet chocolate chips make for a fun, easy-to-make occasional indulgence.
To keep this recipe dairy-free, I used the fatty portion of the coconut milk that rises to the top when refrigerated. It’s best to place a can of coconut milk in the fridge the night before and then scoop off the dense coconut cream that rises to the top. Enjoy!Print
Chocolate Brownies (Grain Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo)
For a much lighter flavor you can omit the chocolate chips and espresso powder.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the batter:
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (make sure it’s grain-free!)*
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut cream skimmed from the top of the coconut milk (see above description)
- 6 tablespoons ghee, butter or coconut oil, melted (click here for an easy homemade ghee recipe)
- 3/4 cup raw honey (I used clover)
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips or a chocolate bar chopped into small pieces (I prefer Trader Joe’s organic bars or Equal Exchange because they don’t contain soy.)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust rack to middle position. Cut two long pieces of unbleached parchment paper that are 8-inches wide. Fit parchment into length of 8×8-inch baking pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhang pan edges. Fit other piece of parchment into width of pan in the same manner, perpendicular to the first sheet (this keeps the brownies from sticking and will give you the ability to lift the brownies out of the pan after they have been baked for even cutting).
- Place coconut flour, cocoa powder, sea salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk gently to combine ingredients. Place eggs, coconut cream, melted ghee, honey, espresso powder and vanilla in the blender and blend until smooth (this step is necessary because the coconut cream is very thick and it will ensure a smooth brownie batter). Whisk wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth, about 30 seconds. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter into the parchment-lined baking dish and spread evenly using an off-set spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until edges are set and a cake tester inserted into the middle of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs (be careful not to over bake). Cool for 10 minutes and then, holding onto the parchment, gently lift the brownies out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Cut brownies and serve.
*To make homemade grain-free baking powder combine 1 part baking soda, 1 part arrowroot powder and 2 parts cream of tartar. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Serving Size: Makes one 8x8-inch pan.
Keywords: chocolate brownies