A comforting beef chili with all the toppings, is a great way to end the day!
I streamlined this recipe so there’s very little hands-on work involved. The one thing you need to plan for is to soak the beans the night before. Legumes contain phytic acid that robs the body of important minerals like magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper and iron. So they need to be soaked before cooking to neutralize these anti-nutrients. You can read more about this here.
Outside of soaking the beans, the rest of the chili can be put together very quickly and you can put it on the stove and forget about it until dinnertime.
I like to serve chili with lots of fun toppings such as cultured sour cream, chopped tomato, avocado and raw cheddar. Feel free to add any additional toppings that you enjoy!
Serves: Serves 6
Simple Weeknight Chili
This chili freezes very well. Just put it in an airtight container and it will keep in the freezer for about 2 months.
10 minPrep Time
5 hr, 20 Cook Time
5 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 16 ounces organic diced tomatoes (you can also use 5-6 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped)
- 5 cups bone broth or meat stock
- 2 cups white navy beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 chopped avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream (omit for dairy free)
- 1/2 cup raw cheddar cheese (omit for dairy free)
- In a large stockpot, over medium heat, sauté onion in ghee until translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the beef as it cooks. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, beans, and salt. Bring to a boil, skim off any foam and then simmer for about 5 hours until beans are soft. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with chopped tomatoes, avocado, sour cream and a bit of cheese.
- Slow cooker option:
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, sauté onion in ghee until translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the beef as it cooks. Pour mixture into the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, stock, beans and salt. Cook on medium for 6-7 hours until beans are soft. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with chopped tomatoes, avocado, sour cream and a bit of cheese.
Copyright 2016 Deliciously Organic
Chow and Chatter