I recently started experimenting with some old-favorite pasta dishes, replacing the pasta with zucchini noodles, like these zucchini noodles with bacon, Brussels sprouts, and hazelnuts. I discovered something wonderful: as long as I let the zucchini sit with some sea salt to pull out the bitter flavor and toss it quickly at the end of the recipe, it makes for a fantastic substitute.
I pulled out my spiralizer for this recipe – it’s a very helpful asset in my kitchen. I can “noodle” all sorts of squash and root vegetables and create quick weeknight dinners. I was a little hesitant to put so many flavors together, but I have to tell you – even after three days in a row, I was wishing for more!
Zucchini Noodles with Brussels Sprouts and Hazelnuts
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 5 large zucchini, cut into noodles (or shredded using a box grater)
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 6 pieces bacon, chopped (for a vegetarian option, omit bacon and use 3 tablespoons ghee)
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese (omit for dairy free)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Place zucchini in a colander and toss with sea salt. Let sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe. Place bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until crispy, about 5-7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan. Increase heat to medium-high and add Brussels sprouts to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown on the edges, about 5 minutes.
- While the Brussels sprouts are cooking, place a clean dishtowel on the counter and pour the zucchini onto the towel. Gently pat the zucchini dry to remove excess moisture.
- Make a well in the center of the pan and add the garlic and pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds, then stir aromatics into the Brussels sprouts. Add zucchini, cheese, bacon and lemon juice. Toss until all ingredients are hot and the cheese has melted. Serve with hazelnuts.
- Serving Size: Serves 4-6
Keywords: zucchini noodles with bacon, Brussels sprouts and hazelnuts
Kelly @ The Nourishing Home