Cornbread has always been a favorite of mine, and I’ve missed it since going grain-free. So, I got in the kitchen and adapted my Grandma’s tried-and-true recipe to give you a grain-free cornbread recipe! It reminds me of our summer visits to Baton Rouge when I was a young girl. Of course, I’ve removed the grain but honestly, it tastes very much like cornbread!
The jalapeños add a tangy touch of heat, but are completely optional. I usually make this bread half with jalapeños and half without to suit everyone’s taste. It makes a great complement to gumbo, soups, and salads.
And, if you need to avoid dairy right now, I’ve got some easy adaptations for you so you can enjoy your grain-free cornbread along with the rest of us!
And, on a side note, I want to give a shout-out to Andrew Wilder and Jen Maki for their beautiful website redesign. Thank you Andrew and Jen!Print
Grain-Free Cornbread with Jalapeños (Gluten Free)
This recipe is a grain-free adaptation of a recipe in my first cookbook, Deliciously Organic. In fact, I’ve created a grain-free adaptation to each recipe! To read more about the grain-free adaptations for the cookbook click here.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups almond flour
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s grain-free) (you can omit for the gaps protocol, just keep in mind the bread won’t rise as much)
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar (or 1 teaspoon honey for gaps protocol)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or 7 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup sour cream (or plain, whole coconut yogurt)
- 2 medium jalapeños, minced (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups grated raw Cheddar cheese (omit for Paleo)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and adjust rack to middle position of oven. Butter an 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Whisk almond flour, coconut flour baking powder, sea salt, baking soda and coconut sugar together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, and sour cream. Pour sour cream mixture, jalapeños and onions into flour mixture and gently fold all ingredients together. Pour half of the cornbread batter into the baking dish and spread out evenly. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, and then pour the remaining batter on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Serving Size: Serves 9
Keywords: cornbread with jalapeños
Becca from ItsYummi.com
Becca from ItsYummi.com