Chicken Pot Pie Soup combines the comfort of a warm pot pie in a delicious soup!
The inspiration for this soup came from my favorite chicken pot pie recipe from my cookbook, The Grain-Free Family Table. The filling is a combination of chicken, onions, carrots, peas, cream and thyme, so I combined those flavors to make a simple soup for you.Print
Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Grain-Free, Gluten-Free)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter (or coconut oil for dairy-free option)
- Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Soup:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (or 2 tablespoons coconut oil for dairy-free)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or coconut milk for dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh, flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat a large pot over medium, add the butter, and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on each side and then place in the pot. Cook until just turning golden brown on the edges, about 4 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, flip the chicken and continue cooking until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate and cover to keep warm.
- Place the butter in the now empty pot and melt over medium heat. Stir in the onion, carrots and celery, reduce the heat to low, and cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Sprinkle in coconut flour and arrowroot flour, stirring constantly, until absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup stock and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining stock, sea salt, and peas. Increase the heat to high and bring to a low boil. While mixture is coming to a boil, shred the chicken and then add to the soup, along with any juices that have accumulated on the plate. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream, parsley and lemon juice. Season with salt to taste.
- Serving Size: 4
Photo Credit: Becky Winkler