Whenever I celebrate with a dessert, I always go for chocolate. I love a good chocolate zucchini cake, so my daughters and I got in the kitchen last week to create grain-free recipe for you.
When you make this cake, I want to warn you that the batter will be very thick, but the water from the zucchini will leach into the batter while baking to create a lovely, moist cake. The cake can be eaten alone or with the chocolate frosting.
Here are some tips for making the chocolate zucchini cake:
Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
There’s no need to peel the zucchini before grating.
You’ll need 2 cups of shredded zucchini which is about 1 large zucchini or 2 medium.
Cool the cake completely before serving. And, the flavors are even more intense on the second day!
If you like this zucchini cake, here are some cake recipes you might also enjoy:
Paleo Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Grain-Free Pound Cake
Triple Lemon Sheet Cake
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Cherry Crumb Cake
Vanilla Bundt Cake
Chocolate Zucchini Cake (Grain-Free)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
For the cake:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole plain yogurt (or a plain dairy-free yogurt)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
For the frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust the rack to the middle position.
- Place the almond flour, coconut flour, gelatin, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt in the bowl of a standing mixer. Using the beater attachment, mix on low for about 30 seconds until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, coconut oil, and vanilla. With the mixer on low, slowly add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Stir in the zucchini. At this point the batter will be very thick.
- Spoon the batter into an oiled 8×8-inch glass baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Cool completely.
- Place the coconut milk and butter in a small saucepan and heat until butter is melted. Place the chocolate chips and vanilla in a blender. Pour the hot milk mixture over the chocolate and let sit for 30 seconds. Blend until smooth. Pour the frosting into a medium bowl and chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour until thick.
- Spoon the frosting over the cake and spread evenly. Serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 9
Photo credit: Becky Winkler