I love grilled meats and vegetables, but when my husband isn’t around to fire up the grill, I prefer to oven-roast my BBQ chicken.
Why? Because I’m scared of the grill. I’ve had one too many flare-ups that singed my eyelashes (no joke!), so I leave the grilling to someone else!
Most barbecue sauces contain ingredients that I prefer not to serve at the dinner table, so today I’ve got a homemade BBQ sauce for you as well as an easy method for oven-roasted barbecue chicken.
You can use thighs, drumsticks or breasts for this recipe. It’s best to use meat with the skin on, as it holds in the moisture and produces a juicer piece of meat. The sauce can be made a few days ahead of time and stored in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.Print
Oven BBQ Chicken (Grain-Free, Paleo)
Method inspired by Pioneer Woman
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup (I used the homemade recipe from my cookbook, The Grain-Free Family Table)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire (here’s a great homemade recipe)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2–4 dashes of hot sauce
For the chicken:
- 1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
- Place all of the BBQ sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan and whisk until incorporated. Heat over medium-low for about 5 minutes, until hot. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and adjust rack to middle position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chicken on the baking sheet skin-side down. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and using a pair of tongs, flip each piece of chicken. Using a pastry brush, baste each piece of meat (top and bottom) with the BBQ sauce. Roast for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and baste the tops with more BBQ sauce. Roast for another 10 minutes and baste again with the BBQ sauce. Repeat the process of roasting for 10 minutes and basting until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is starting to turn brown on the edges. Serve warm.
- Note: I only test the recipes on my site with the listed ingredients and measurements. If you would like to try a substitution, you are welcome to share what you used and how it turned out in the comments below. Thanks!
- Serving Size: Serves 4-6
Keywords: oven bbq chicken